Seasonal Allergies Part 2: Symptoms of Pollen Allergy and Adverse Food Reactions
Symptoms of Pollen Allergy
- Red, watery eyes, brown tear staining under the eyes
- Rubbing of the face and eyes which results in red, thickened skin, hair loss, or brown staining of the hair under the eyes and around the mouth
- Red, swollen, oozing, smelly ears
- Painful or itchy ears with scales, crusts, scabs or hair loss on the ear pinna
- Brown/Black ear wax that has to be cleaned from the ears weekly or daily - this is not normal
- Licking and scratching of the armpits, sides of the body, the flanks, and groin
- Licking the feet between the toes or foot pads, brown staining on the hair of white or light- colored dogs
- Sneezing or coughing in cats and sometimes dogs
- Chronic intermittent soft feces, vomiting or flatulence (gas)
- Butt scooting or licking at the anus
- Full, infected, painful anal gland
Adverse Food Reactions
There are a lot of nutraceuticals available over the counter and from Angelcare Animal Hospital that can support healthy skin and decrease the symptoms of allergic disease. One size DOES NOT FIT ALL. Efficacious use depends on the "art" of the clinician. Each pet is different in what they will consume, their disease states, their life stage, and their diets. For the best success, I recommend you consult your veterinary dermatologist.
Probiotics added daily to the diet will also help with developing a good microbiome and healthy gut. Leaky guts not only cause soft stool and occasional puking, a leaky gut also allows all those grass and weed pollens the dog is licking off his coat to invade the immune system. VRS Entero TruBenefits, and Purina Fortiflora are the probiotics shown to have the most viable organisms in the package you are putting your dog's food.
Once the skin is inflamed and is no longer normal, the bacteria (mostly staphylococcus) and yeast (Malassezia), which normally sits on top of the skin not causing a problem, invades the dermis and further causes inflammation, itching and foul skin odor called seborrhea. Dogs that develop secondary yeast infections will have brown pigment that stains white toenails, and light-colored hair between the dog's toes, and pads. As the condition becomes chronic, the skin will become very thickened and dark like "elephant skin." The body oder will be so intense that you will smell it on your hands after petting your dog and in your house where you dog resides.
Read Part 3: Diagnosing Allergies
Important Action Plan For Skin and Ear Disease Treatment:
Set up your appointment with Dr. Melodie Limpach if you think your pet is suffering from seasonal allergies, other types of allergy, or any skin condition that does not resolve in a couple of weeks. Angelcare Animal Hospital of Racine, WI can usually get your pet in for an exam within 48 hours of your call for help. If finances are limited, we accept Care Credit, Visa, MC, and Discover. We will also design a treatment plan that can work within your budget. The important action plan is to get your pet in sooner than later. The longer your pet is suffering from his skin or ear disease, the longer (and costlier) it will take to produce a happy and healthy pet. Call 262-886-3337 or book now for an appointment today.